declutter Your bedroom
3 THINGS TO THROW OUT RIGHT NOW
- Ugly or Worn-out Sheets & Bedding (these can be donated)
- Old Pillows
The best place to start decluttering your bedroom is the closet. Parting from our clothes can be difficult, but if you never wear them then what's the point? Think of all the new clothes you could acquire by clearing out some space. Think of this declutter as an investment in your future. Start by throwing out the following items:
- Clothes with Holes
- Stockings or Leggings with Runs
- Lonely Gloves and Socks
- Old, Wrecky T-Shirts
- Freebie or Promotional T-Shirts that you Never Wear (can be donated)
- Clothing You've Outgrown (can be donated)
- Old and Broken Hangers
Once you have removed some of the clutter, start going through each item and ask yourself the following questions:
- Does This Fit Me?
- Have I Worn This in the Last Year?
organize as you go
As you are restocking your closet with the items you have decided to keep, be sure to organize them in a way that makes sense to you. There are too many closet organization ideas to list, but here are some of our favourites:
- Use a shower curtain hook to hold your tank tops and camis
- Use an egg carton to store your jewellery
- Use shower curtain hooks to store all of your scarves, hats, bras or dresses on one hanger
- Use pop tabs to hang hangers off of each other (assuming your clothing isn't too heavy)
- Use small labelled baskets if you have shelves in your closet (and if you don't - invest in some shelves in your closet!)
Tackle one drawer at a time. Start by emptying the contents of the drawer and giving it a quick vacuum if is necessary. Now go through each item and ask yourself:
- Does this belong in my bedroom?
- Does this fit me?
- Have I used this in the last year?
- If I was shopping right now would I buy this?
The space under your bed is a great place to store those clothing items that you need to keep but only wear on certain occasions. Consider investing in "under the bed" totes that simply slide in and out.
Store your seasonal clothes in your suitcase. You have to store your suitcase somewhere - may as well make the best of it!
Start from the bottom of your closet and work your way up. Your natural instinct will be to start at the top, but by starting at the bottom you will give yourself more room to work in.