When hiring a mover it is imperative that you protect yourself and your belongings. It is also important to note that you have rights under Ontario's Consumer Protection Act.
what to include
All consumer contracts for moving services must include the following:
- The moving company's name, full address and contact information
- A detailed description of the services being provided and a list of prices
- The total amount that you are required to pay
- NOTE: By law, the moving company cannot charge you more than 10% over the estimate that was given in the contract unless you require additional supplies or services that were not originally covered and you agree to an increase
- The date(s) of the services being provided
- The payment terms
If the contract that you have with your moving company misrepresented their product or service, you can withdraw from the contract within one year.
Although it is not mandatory, it is recommended that you also include the following:
- The name and policy number of the moving company's insurance provider
- A detailed explanation of the insurance policy and what it covers
- Who is responsible for any damage or loss
- The number of staff, estimated number of hours and the size of the truck(s) that they will be using