MOVING DAY TIPS
before the movers come
- Double check that all of your boxes are clearly (and properly) labelled and that your legend is clear and correct
- Dismantle any remaining beds and large pieces of furniture
- Ensure that there is a clear path to each room, clear any obstacles or trip hazards you come across
- Put aside any items that are not to go into the moving truck
- Take your kids to daycare and your pets to the petsitter or in a closed room
- Ensure that you have enough cash to pay the movers if necessary
- Ensure that there is enough room in your driveway for the moving truck
- Make sure your car has ample fuel for the trip
once the movers arrive
- Walk the Movers through your home and explain any special instructions
- Pack your car with the items you set aside while the movers pack the moving truck
- Clean each room as it is emptied
Once everything has been loaded into the moving truck be sure that you do a final walkthrough of the house.
- Check for any damages that may have occurred while hauling out large and awkward items
- Double check that nothing was missed - be sure to double check the closets, stove, washer, dryer, garage, shed and attic. Check all of the drawers and behind all of the doors.
- Take pictures of meter readings so that you can easily compare what the utility company charges you on your final bill
- Ensure that the lights are off, that the heat is down and that the water is off
- Ensure your stove is off
- Remove any last garbage
- Lock windows and doors
It is important to remember that there will be new owners coming to live in this home, and that they do not know the house like you do. Be sure to leave your contact information with your new mailing address in order for them to forward any mail. Set out any instruction manuals, references, or notes you may have about the home as well.
at the new house
- Perform an initial inspection of the home and be sure to note / take photos of any damages.
- Take a photo of the meter reading for later reference.
- Be sure that all of the utilities work: flush the toilet, plug in the fridge, check the taps and turn on the lights. There is nothing worse than finding out that the lights in your bedroom don't work at 10 o'clock at night.
- Use the bristol board to label each of the rooms according to the legend and floor plan that you have created. Ensure the legend is in an easy-to-read location.
- Walk the movers through the home, explain to them your legend system and any special instructions.
- Once the movers have emptied the truck be sure to double check that nothing was left behind. Check any other vehicles that were involved in the move while you're at it.
- Read the mover's bill carefully before paying.
Be courteous of neighbours at both your old house and the new one. Try not to block driveways or sidewalks if possible, and don't leave a huge mess for the new owners either.