Packing materials are the key to any successful move. It's important to ensure that you have the right materials and enough of them.
necessary packing materials:
- Packing Tape & Gun
- Multiple Sizes of Boxes
- Heavy Duty Garbage Bags
- Permanent Markers
- Scissors & Craft Knife
- Notebook / Notepad
- Duct Tape (multiple colours)
- Bristol board or Coloured Paper
- Packing Paper
how much do i need?
There is no cut and dry answer for how many boxes and rolls of tape you will need to pack your whole house. The answer is dependent on three equally important factors:
- The size of your home
- The number of people living in your home
- Relative amount of stuff in your home
As a guideline, we have included a Moving Supplies Table for your convenience. It is important to note that this is only a guideline and should only be used as such. In order to be more accurate with your list it is important to consider just how much stuff you are wanting to move. Be honest with yourself, are you somewhat of a packrat, a minimalist, or somewhere in between? Do you have a library of books that need to be moved? Just what is in your basement? Your shed? Etc.
Remember - it's better to have extra than not enough. Especially when it comes to tape.
packing supply tips
- Ensure you have different size boxes
- Use what you already have - suitcases, laundry baskets, linens, etc.
- Use packing paper instead of newspaper, as newspaper often leaves ink stains behind
- If you have hired a moving company, inquire as to what they have to offer you in ways of moving supplies
look for free boxes
Just about every major retailer has boxes of some sort. Start by asking around and see who may have some up for grabs. Remember that boxes with lids or closing flaps are key. The LCBO and the Beer Store are excellent places to check for wine boxes (to pack your drinking glasses in). Also be sure to talk anyone that you may know that works in an office setting, as printer paper boxes are perfect for moving.