You're all set up and ready go, but what to pack?
The first box you should prepare is your 'Essentials' box / tote. Ensure it is clearly labelled and keep it separate from everything else. As you begin to pack you can add items to the box that you think you will need for the move. This will save you a lot of time and effort.
View our list of recommended Essentials Box items here.
Once you have set up your Essentials Box(es) - it's time to dive right in!
Non-essentials you can pack right away
- Seasonal Clothing
- Holiday Decor
- Art, Picture Frames and Decorations
- Photo Albums and Scrapbooks
- Throw Pillows
- Extra Dining Sets
- DVD's, CD's & Video Games
- Board Games & Puzzles
- Non-Essential Lamps & Bulbs
- Random Cords & Electronics
- Storage Closets
- Books & Cookbooks
- Extra Linens
Once you have started to pack the non-essential items, it will become easier to determine what can be packed now and what needs to wait until later. Continue to pack over the next couple of weeks. Packing is always a bigger job than it seems, and it is important that you give yourself time.
A Few days prior to move
- Take Down Curtains (remember that rods stay unless otherwise agreed)
- Empty Lawnmower, Power Tools, etc. of Fuel
- Dismantle Bends and Other Large Piece of Furniture (do not forget to attach the hardware!)
- Tag All Furniture with its Intended Room / Corresponsing Colour at the New House
Packing can seem overwhelming and tricky. Lucky for you we have dedicated a whole section of My Move Smart to packing tips that will help you through each room of your home. Check them out here!