Once you have arrived at your new home it is important to complete the following tasks in order to ensure that both you and your family are as safe and prepared as possible.
- Check the plumbing for leaks
- Locate the Shut-off Valves
- Locate the Breaker Box
- Test the Smoke-detector
- Assemble and make the beds
- Begin Unpacking (starting with the essentials, food, bathroom, etc.)
- Change the locks & have keys cut
- Change the garage door code
- Continue to check for damages while you unpack (be aware of the deadline for insurance claims!)
- Confirm that your mail is arriving at your new address
- Ensure your previous utilities have been paid for and are cancelled
- Find new doctors, dentists, etc.
Be sure to check for any damages while unpacking.