Hire movers? or do it yourself?
Most people assume that skipping movers and moving everything themselves is a far cheaper route. But is it really?
Hiring Movers Doing It Yourself
- They disassemble, wrap, lift, load, unload, and reassemble your large heavy items
- They have their own equipment and truck
- They have insurance against broken belongings in the event of an accident
- Most companies have wardrobe boxes for an easy way to pack your closet
- They are generally more efficient
- You have total control of your move
- Less flexibility in your move (Less control over how the truck is packed, starting times, etc.)
- Impersonal - it can be hard to pass over your belongings to people that you don't know
- Beware of minimum charges, if your move is only going to take two hours be prepared to pay for four
- You're on your own for lifting that heavy couch and that massive king size mattress
- You have to find a truck to rent
- You have to find your own (trustworthy and reliable) help, and ensure that they will show up
- You have no insurance for broken or misplaced items
- Are you comfortable driving a moving truck?
- A lot more planning is involved
costs to consider costs to consider
- Truck Rental
- Truck Fuel
- Truck Insurance
- Beer & Pizza for Helpers